The Weller Pottery factory used a variety of marks over its years of production.In this post, we will look at trademarks used prior to 1900.Potters produced a wide range of ancient pottery in all shapes and sizes, and decorated it with abstract, historical and mythological designs, in a variety of styles which developed throughout the period 3,000 - 300 BCE. Vases were often made according to a strict system of proportions. the amphora [c.750 BCE] in the the Athens National Museum), the height is exactly twice the width, and the neck is exactly half the height.(See: Ceramic Art History & Types.)The most important styles included: geometric, black-figure, red-figure and white ground. In addition, the choice of which decorative patterns go where was also carefully conceived, as partical designs help emphasise specific portions of the vessel and articulate its shape.The first trademark shown below is from a Lonhuda vase produced by Weller in 1895 or 1896.
Geometrical ceramic art flourished in the 9th and 8th centuries BCE.
It is believed by many Weller pottery collectors that the hand incised mark was used prior to 1900 and the circular stamp trademark was used after 1900.
Weller Eocean (1898-1918) Similar to Aurelian, Weller Eocean can be found with either a circular stamp trademark or a hand incised mark.
Lonhuda Pottery (1895-1896) Sam Weller purchased Lonhuda pottery from William Long in 1894.
Lonhuda Pottery was founded in Steubenville, Ohio in 1892.
The principal centres of pottery production were Thessaly and Crete. This use of figurative design spread to all areas of ancient Greece except Crete, where abstract motifs continued to prevail.